Endrick is the youngest player to receive a Selecao call-up since Ronaldo in 1994. He could get his first cap against Colombia tonight and his second against Argentina next week. Only Pele and his contemporaries from the 1960s, Edu and Coutinho, achieved international stardom at such a young age.
What is it about Endrick, the 17-year-old Brazilian, that has everyone betting on his success? Between his samba flicks, agility, and dribbling skills, it’s no wonder the football world is betting on Brazil’s newest magician for a bright future.
Last December, Real Madrid inked a deal for the starlet as a 16-year-old. But he’ll join the Spanish giants in June 2024 when he turns 18. That’s the cutoff date according to international transfer law.
The left-footed winger has already slotted in 12 goals this season for Palmeiras, 24 in 70 matches. Endrick also notched 165 goals in 169 games for Palmeiras youth teams. He aims to guide Palmeiras to the Brazilian title again this term, with heavier bags to fill in the Champions League.
That's because once Endrick heads to the Santiago Bernabéu, he’ll look to emulate the success of fellow countrymen Vinicius Junior and Rodyrgo. Vini Jr. and Rodyrgo, still youngsters in their own right, spearheaded Real Madrid's 2022 Champions League triumph.
Endrick’s stock keeps rising
US sportswear brand New Balance signed the Palmeiras star to a boot deal, hoping he follows in the footsteps of youngsters Bukayo Saka and Harvey Elliot. Endrick also signed to Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports agency, set to further elevate his profile.
Endric already appeared on GQ Brazilian edition last Spring.
“I think he is a boy with a very promising future and that he is already acting as a professional,” said Ronaldo Nazario, aka R9.
Arsenal’s Gabriel, however, gave Endrick a rude awakening about his future. The defender bodychecked Real Madrid’s $78 million signing in Selecao practice. It’s perhaps the welcoming the player needs to toughen up for his next big step in Madrid.
Can Endrick become the next Neymar? Let’s hope the hype lives up to reality, and we get a sneak peek when he suits up for the Brazilian national team against Colombia in World Cup qualifiers tonight.
More about the Brazilian rising star Endrick
- Full Name: Endrick Felipe Moreira de Sousa
- Date of Birth: 21 July 2006
- Place of Birth: Taguatinga, Federal District, Brazil
- Height: 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)
- Position: Striker
- Current Team: Palmeiras (will join Real Madrid in July 2024)
- Youth Career: Joined Palmeiras youth team at age 11, scored 165 goals in 169 games
- Professional Debut: Made senior professional debut on 6 October 2022 for Palmeiras
- International Career: Represented Brazil U17, selected for Brazil national team for 2026 World Cup qualifiers
- Style of Play: Left-footed forward, considered one of Brazil's best football prospects
- Honors: Campeonato Brasileiro Série A: 2022, Supercopa do Brasil: 2023, Campeonato Paulista: 2023
- Awards: Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Best Newcomer: 2022, Samba Gold Best Brazilian under-20 player of the year: 2022