Friday marked the acquittal of Benjamin Mendy, former Manchester City footballer, on charges of rape and attempted rape at his second trial.
The three-week trial at England's Chester Crown Court concluded with Mendy breaking down in tears after the judge read the not-guilty verdicts.
“Mr Mendy can be discharged from the dock,” Judge Steven Everett said in front of the jury.
He later thanked God “Alhamdulillah” after departing the courtroom.
Mendy acquitted of both rape and attempted rape charges
In 2018, a 29-year-old woman claimed that Mendy sexually assaulted her. She said he walked in on her in the shower and tried to force her into sex on his bed.
A 24-year-old woman implicated Mendy in a case of alleged rape at his Cheshire mansion in October 2020. She claimed that Mendy pressured her to reveal intimate images on her phone and undress. “I just wanna look at you,” she told the jury before Mendy undressed her.
When she resisted his advances and tried to retrieve her phone from the bed, she accused him of raping her.
Four other women or teenagers also leveled grave rape accusations against him. Yet, after a lengthy trial earlier this year, the court acquitted Mendy on six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
Throughout the process, Mendy consistently denied any misconduct. Following the expiration of his contract with Manchester City on June 30, the 29-year-old is currently without a club.
Which club will give Mendy a second chance?