Cristiano Ronaldo is more than a footballer; he's a brand, an icon, and an inspiration for millions on the pitch. Over the years, Ronaldo's unmatched skills, dedication, and tenacity on the football field have made him one of the most revered athletes globally. But ever wondered what fuels this footballing machine? Let's dive into Ronaldo's dietary habits to uncover the secret behind his incredible longevity and athletic performance.
What does Ronaldo eat?
First and foremost, Ronaldo eats six mini-meals throughout the day — that's one every 3-4 hours. The Al-Nassr striker adopts this peculiar schedule to regulate his energy and maximize his workout performance.
Morning Breakfast Ritual: The Kick Start
While many of us sleep in and often skip breakfast, Ronaldo starts his day with a nutrient-packed breakfast. Whole grain cereals paired with egg whites form the foundation. Topped off with fresh fruits like avocados or berries — those can take the form of yogurt or juice — and sometimes a side of cold cuts like ham or turkey. It's a breakfast built for champions.
Nap and then snack time!
After breakfast, CR7 will take a 90-minute power nap, one of his five daily. The Portuguese forward operates on baby naps known as Polyphasic sleep rather than one long, eight-hour snooze. He also sleeps in the fetal position, lying on his side and bringing his knees to his chest. This particular method helps thwart potential back issues. “Proper sleep is really important for getting the most out of training,” says the GOAT.
Moreover, Ronaldo's snack drawer includes fresh fruit, avocado on fresh bread, and seafood. The man grew up in a small tin-roofed home near the ocean, snacking on sardines and tuna for extra protein. Why change?
Stay hydrated all-day
It's also important to note that CR7 stays hydrated all day. And that means consuming lots of water and avoiding soda and alcohol. The Portugal captain famously removed a Coke can and promulgated, “Drink Water!” during a Euro 2020 press conference.
Lunch: A Balanced Plate
Ronaldo's lunch typically consists of lean proteins to support muscle recovery and growth. Lunch includes choices like chicken or turkey breast. Paired with whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice and accompanied by various green vegetables, it's a meal that's as balanced as Ronaldo's footwork on the field.
Workout multiple times per day
Ronaldo is a workout fanatic, ranging from 3-4 hours daily. In addition to his regular intensive on-the-field training, Cristiano is at the gym mixing cardio and strenth-training. He's even sneaking in exercises throughout the day when not in the gym or on the pitch.
“Fit in exercise wherever you can,” says the goal machine.
“You can do an abs workout in your bedroom when you wake up in the morning or before you go to bed. If you get into a routine then it makes it easier as it will become a habit.”
Snacking right part 2
A player who makes five weekly trips to the gym also needs another snack and a nap before dinner. For his second snack, Ronaldo hits up a protein shake. Ronaldo's signature shake includes a mixture of strawberries, bananas, skim milk, plus other essential micronutrients for extra protein. He takes multivitamins too.
Ronaldo's dinner is an art form, carefully proscribed by his nutritionist. A plate may include steak, a side salad, calamari, and perhaps in the off-season, a glass of vino. He does dabble in sweets on special occasions.
After supper, the striker goes for a late swim or hits up his $64,000 cryotherapy machine to speed up the recovery of his 38-year-old muscles.
After some much-needed rest and relaxation, he'll nap again and reset the daily clock for an early morning wakeup.
Ronaldo is always in beast mode, on and off the pitch, and it all starts with a healthy diet, proper sleep, a religious workout regimen, and rest.
Cristiano Ronaldo's Daily Sample Routine & Diet
- 6:00 AM: 🌅 Wake Up
- 6:30 AM – Morning Breakfast Ritual: 🍳🥣🍓
- Food: Whole grain cereals, egg whites, fresh fruits (avocados, berries in the form of yogurt or juice), and cold cuts (ham or turkey).
- 8:00 AM: 💤 90-minute Power Nap (Polyphasic Sleep – Nap 1)
- 9:30 AM – Snack Time: 🍞🥑🐟
- Food: Fresh fruit, avocado on fresh bread, seafood (sardines, tuna).
- 10:00 AM: 💧 Stay Hydrated: Drinking water and avoiding soda and alcohol throughout the day.
- 12:00 PM – Lunch: 🍗🍚🥦
- Food: Lean proteins like chicken or turkey breast, whole grains (quinoa or brown rice), and a variety of green vegetables.
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM: 💪 Workout Session
- On-the-field training, gym sessions (cardio and strength training), and even sneaky exercises.
- 4:30 PM: 💤 90-minute Power Nap (Polyphasic Sleep – Nap 2)
- 6:00 PM – Snack Time Part 2: 🥤
- Food: Signature shake with strawberries, bananas, skim milk, and other essential micronutrients.
- 8:00 PM – Dinner: 🥩🥗🍷
- Food: Steak, side salad, calamari, and occasionally a glass of wine. Sweets on special occasions.
- 9:00 PM: 🏊♂️ Late swim or Cryotherapy for recovery.
- 10:00 PM: 💤 90-minute Power Nap (Polyphasic Sleep – Nap 3)
- 11:30 PM: 🛌 Rest & Relaxation